Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Prostate Cancer and the Amazing daVinci System


Unlike normal blog postings dealing with Choices, Ethics, and Consequences my topics as a professional motivational speaker it seemed appropriate today to speak of my complete recovery from prostate cancer hoping that it might help others who are faced with decisions on prostate cancer treatment.In layman's terms, everything seemed to work fine. So the discovery of prostate cancer was quite accidental. My doctor referred me to a Urologist. Being fearful of needles (and a biopsy is the ultimate needle) I asked if it would hurt. Prostate Cancer! How could I, a 47 year old healthy male, with no other medical issues have prostate cancer? My local doctor wanted to schedule surgery immediately. He said I had four options: (1) Radical prostotectemy (traditional surgery); (2) Radiation; (3) Hormone therapy and/or (4) Watch and wait. Again, he recommended surgery. I was like learning to play golf - I would prefer to learn from someone who plays daily than learn from a weekend hacker. First thing I found based on my diagnosis I had time to consider carefully my options. Prostate cancer generally is slow in it's progression. CAUTION - do not use my experience as a crutch to avoid treatment (I witnessed my father-in-law die from complications from prostate cancer), rather, seek competent medical help in making your treatment decisions.
Options Considered:
Watch and wait. I researched my diet considered the possibility that I could reverse what existed and even reduce the cancer. For a short time I actually saw a decrease in my PSA; however, that was short lived. Radiation Therapy. Not really an option for me. While I talked with a man in his late 60's to early 70's who had outstanding results using focused radiation (proton therapy I think it was called), the reality is - once you opt for radiation and the tissue is destroyed, if prostate cancer returns, it cannot be surgically removed. By the way information on proton treatment can be found at http://www.protons.com/ or at http://www.llu.edu. com/High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU). In my search for the right treatment, I spent much time in considering this alternative. There were three practical objectives I wished to accomplish with whatever treatment I selected: (1) Cancer elimination, (2) Minimal issues with incontinence (preferably none) and (3) minimal issues with erectile function (again, preferably none). Based on my Gleason score and prostate cancer diagnosis, it seemed that this treatment would be viable. For research information visit http://www.ushifu.com/ As part of my consideration I met with Dr. George Suarez, Medical Director for USHifu. He reviewed my medical background and was kind in taking the time to discuss with me my options using this new prostate cancer treatment. Dr. Suarez took the time to explain all my options and how, if I elected, HIFU could be effective while meeting my three objectives. Radical Prostatectomy. All of the possibilities above, brought me back to the original suggestion - SURGERY. Since I had the time to research I discovered (through the wonder of the Internet) this, then, new procedure called a robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy. Hum...seemed that needed more study. Of course, at the time, Johns Hopkins Brady Urological Institute was recognized as one of the best in the world for prostate cancer research and study. After careful consideration I contacted Johns Hopkins inquiring about this seemingly new procedure - using the daVinci Surgical System. http://www.urology.jhu.edu/MIS/daVinci/ .The folks at Johns Hopkins could not have been more caring and helpful as I sought all my treatment options. Of course, they reviewed my file carefully and spent all the time I wanted and needed to evaluate my options. In the end, one thing was clear - all other options being equal - surgical removal was still the "gold standard" in the fight against prostate cancer. The surgery went fine - of course I don't remember a thing - so all I can base it on what the Doctor's report. Initially the report indicated that the cancer was contained in the prostate and the removal should yield me "cancer free." Outcome. Within four weeks following surgery I boarded a plane to Dallas, TX to begin a new job. Within seven weeks of surgery incontinence was not an issue. Erecticle function returned within three months (with the aid of medication) and returned to full function (without medication) within twelve months.
Source by ezinearticles.com

1 comments:

johny said...

wonderfull prostate cancer tips